Note that apps were called add-ons before Jira 8. So when we refer to apps, this is synonymous with add-ons in Jira 7.x.
- You need administration rights in your Jira, so you can install apps from the marketplace
- You need write access to the library folder of your Jira installation, so you can add jars to it
Step 1: Install the S/Notify UI from the Atlassian marketplace
- In Jira, select Manage apps from the Jira Administration menu in order to go to the Atlassian Marketplace for Jira
- Search for S/Notify Email Encryption
- Click the Free trial button for a free evaluation (of course, you may click Buy now, if you have already evaluated it)
- Follow the instructions
The S/Notify UI component will then be downloaded, installed, and activated. However, emails will not be encrypted until the library component has been installed as explained in step 2 and 3.
Step 2: Download and install the S/Notify library component
- Download the S/Notify mailer library component from https://download.savignano.net/snotify/jira/releases/
(previous versions can be found in the subfolder archive)
- Copy the jar file to <YourJiraInstallationDirectory>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib
Make sure that the the library component is readable by the Jira user.
Either make the library component readable for all:
sudo chmod +r <YourJiraInstallationDirectory>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/net.savignano.s-notify.jira.mailer-x.x.x.jar
Or make the Jira user owner of the library component:
sudo chown jira <YourJiraInstallationDirectory>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/net.savignano.s-notify.jira.mailer-x.x.x.jar
Step 3: Restart Jira to activate S/Notify
It is necessary to restart Jira after the installation in order to activate the library component.
Step 4: Verify the installation
- In Jira, select Manage apps from the Jira Administration menu
- In the menu on the left, click Manage apps
- Find S/Notify in the list, expand its entry, then click Get started
- S/Notify will check if it is ready to encrypt emails and display an info about the result
How To Proceed
We recommend that you perform a Quick Test to verify that S/Notify is working correctly.
To configure S/Notify to suit your needs, go to
- Encryption Settings – to configure how and when encryption should be used
- User Key Management – to manage your users' public PGP keys and S/MIME certificates required to encrypt outgoing emails
- Server Key Management – to manage the server's private PGP keys and S/MIME certificates required to decrypt incoming emails and sign outgoing emails
You might want to invite your Jira users to take a look at
- User Settings – for users to view and optionally upload their own PGP key or S/MIME certificate
- Project Settings – for project administrators to view and optionally control encryption for emails referring to their projects
The easiest and quickest way to verify the installation is
- Log in with an administrative user who has an S/MIME public certificate or PGP public key available
- Navigate to the user profile
- At section Email Security, click on the edit symbol
- Upload an S/MIME public certificate or PGP public key that is valid for this user's email address
- Navigate to Systems Settings > Outgoing Mail and click on Send a Test Email to quickly send an email to yourself
- The email should immediately be sent to you encrypted
To test a notification email generated by Jira
- Prepare as described above, except that you do not need an administrative user
- To simplify testing, in the Preferences section of the user profile, set My Changes to Notify me
- Create a Jira task
- Modify the Jira task
- A notification email about the modification should be sent to you after a while, and it should be encrypted
How To Update
For recommendations with regard to updating S/Notify or Jira or both, please refer to Updating and Upgrading.