- You need administration rights in your Bitbucket, so you can install apps from the marketplace
- You need write access to the library folder of your Bitbucket installation, so you can add jars to it
Step 1: Install the S/Notify UI from the Atlassian marketplace
- In Bitbucket, select Manage apps from the Bitbucket Administration menu in order to go to the Atlassian Marketplace for Bitbucket
- Select Find new Apps and search for S/Notify Email Encryption
- Click the Free trial button for a free evaluation (of course, you may click Buy now, if you have already evaluated S/Notify)
- Follow the instructions
The S/Notify UI component will then be downloaded, installed, and activated. However, emails will not be encrypted until the library component has been installed as explained in step 2 and 3.
Step 2: Download and install the S/Notify library component
- Download the S/Notify library component from https://download.savignano.net/snotify/bitbucket/releases/
(previous versions can be found in the subfolder archive)
- Copy this jar file to <YourBitbucketInstallationDirectory>/app/WEB-INF/lib
Make sure that the the library component is readable by the Bitbucket user.
Either make the library component readable for all:
sudo chmod +r <YourBitbucketInstallationDirectory>/app/WEB-INF/lib/net.savignano.s-notify.bitbucket.mailer-x.x.x.jar
Or make the Bitbucket user owner of the library component:
sudo chown bitbucket <YourBitbucketInstallationDirectory>/app/WEB-INF/lib/net.savignano.s-notify.bitbucket.mailer-x.x.x.jar
On multi-node installations of Bitbucket, this step needs to be done on each node.
Step 3: Restart Bitbucket to activate S/Notify
It is necessary to restart Bitbucket after the installation in order to activate the library components.
Step 4: Verify the installation
- In Bitbucket, select Manage apps from the Bitbucket Administration menu
- Find S/Notify in the list, expand its entry, then click Get started
- S/Notify will check if it is ready to encrypt emails and display an info about the result
How To Proceed
We recommend that you perform a Quick Test to verify that S/Notify is working correctly.
To configure S/Notify to suit your needs, go to
- Encryption Settings – to configure how and when encryption should be used
- User Key Management – to manage your users' public PGP keys and S/MIME certificates required to encrypt outgoing emails
- Server Key Management – to manage the server's private PGP keys and S/MIME certificates required to sign outgoing emails
You might want to invite your Bitbucket users to take a look at
- User Settings – for users to view and optionally upload their own PGP key or S/MIME certificate
- Project Settings NOT SUPPORTED YET – for space administrators to view and optionally control encryption for emails referring to their spaces
The easiest and quickest way to verify the installation is
- Log in with an administrative user who has a public S/MIME certificate or public PGP key available
- Go to the user's account settings (Manage account)
- From the options on the left, select Email Security
- Upload a public S/MIME certificate or public PGP key suitable for this user's email address
- From the Administration panel, select Mail Server (under category System), scroll down to Send a test email, and send an email to yourself
- The email should immediately be sent to you encrypted
To test a notification email generated by Bitbucket
- Prepare as described above, except that you do not need an administrative user
- To simplify testing, in the Notification settings of the user account, set both Send notifications for both, pull requests and watched repositories, to Immediately
- Start watching a repository if not doing already: Projects > click on a project > click on a repository (or create one) > click on Watching and select All branches and All pull request activity
- Log in as another user who has access to that repository
- Go to the repository, create a branch, edit a file and then select Create pull request for this change
- A notification email about the modification should be sent to the first user after a while, and it should be encrypted
How To Update
For recommendations with regard to updating S/Notify or Bitbucket or both, please refer to Updating and Upgrading.